Annual salary range: $121,423.95 to $184,996.03
The City of Berkeley offers a comprehensive executive benefits package.
Application deadline: Friday, February 7, 2020
Famous around the globe as a center for academic achievement, scientific exploration, free speech and the arts, the City of Berkeley is bordered by San Francisco Bay to the west and rolling hills to the east. The City is renowned for its green space, mild weather, and world-class cultural life. International shopping districts, outstanding restaurants, cutting-edge environmental organizations, art galleries, theaters, museums, Berkeley City College and the University of California at Berkeley all add to the City’s uniquely diverse and culturally rich atmosphere. Over 50 public parks, miles of bike lanes and walking trails, and a public marina offer exceptional opportunities for year-round outdoor recreation
The Berkeley City Attorney’s Office is a fast-paced and exciting environment where Deputy City Attorneys provide comprehensive legal services to the City and often deal with novel legal issues. Dedication to public service, a strong work ethic, exceptional analytical skills, creativity, flexibility, judgment, and a sense of humor are essential. The City is currently seeking candidates for two Deputy City Attorney positions and the following qualifications are highly desired:
- Litigation experience in state and federal court, including writs.
- Experience managing and litigating cases at all stages of litigation, including pleadings, motion practice, discovery, and trial.
- Experience in labor and employment law, including advising clients regarding labor and employment issues and litigation, ADA, code enforcement, civil rights litigation, land use, and other areas of municipal government.
- Transactional experience in negotiating contracts, leases, development agreements, and affordable housing agreements.
- Experience in civil rights litigation is highly desired.
- Experience or interest in health care law is highly desired.
The ideal candidate must possess solid analytical skills, be self-motivated and a progressive and dynamic team player. Excellent written, verbal communication, listening and interpersonal skills are necessary to work with diverse populations. The successful candidates will have the ability to articulate and explain legal concepts to different levels of audiences as well as manage multiple projects. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a collaborative environment and have the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities. Graduation from an accredited law school with a Juris Doctorate degree AND two to four (2-4) years of experience as an attorney engaged in the practice of civil law, preferably in a municipal setting PLUS current active membership in the California State Bar Association required.
To be considered for this exceptional career opportunity, please submit your cover letter with resume, and a list of five professional references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment). Please apply on our website: https://executivesearch.cpshr.us/JobDetail?ID=609
For additional information, contact:
CPS HR Consulting