If you have 2-5 years transactional legal experience in law firm, conservation, government or corporate environment… and if you are interested in protecting the greatest forests in the world, here is an opportunity you should explore.
We are looking for a Legal Counsel to provide legal advice and support the League staff and also to assist and support the General Counsel. In particular, the Legal Counsel has a significant role regarding the wide range of League transactions with the goal of protecting the League’s legal interests and maintaining its operations.
For over 100 years, Save the Redwoods League has been dedicated to protecting the ancient redwood forests so all generations can experience the inspiration and majesty of redwoods. Since its founding in 1918, Save the Redwoods League has protected more than 200,000 acres of forestland and helped create over 66 redwood parks and preserves for everybody to enjoy. To learn more about us, go to www.SaveTheRedwoods.org
We provide excellent benefits: Full suite of generous healthcare benefits, 401k contributions, paid time off (holidays, vacation, and sick leave), and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Assisting the General Counsel:
- Provides advice with respect to corporate governance and compliance functions to meet legal and organizational needs
- Assists with the League’s board of directors, officers and management in connection with their corporate duties and responsibilities.
- Manages legal issues to reduce/manage risk and comply with legal requirements
- Provides advice, training and support to staff on legal requirements and issues arising in connection with all aspects of League activities
- Designs, reviews, updates, maintains and implements League operational policies, practices and guidelines and procedures
- Participates in strategy discussions regarding League public policy and governmental relations activities
- Assists with enhancing and maintaining the League’s system of fiscal and operational checks and balances
- Manages and supervises League litigation and disputes
Legal Advice and Support:
- Provides primary day-to-day legal and transactional support to the Development and Marketing/Communications teams; assists in drafting, reviewing and approving the wide range of contracts with contractors
- Provides day-to-day legal and transactional support to the Parks and Public Engagement Program and the Restoration and Science Program; supports the Program staff in negotiating and drafting agreements with public entities, design professionals and contractors
- Assists Land Protection staff with transaction closings; assists Land Stewardship staff with legal aspects of land and conservation easement management
- Provides support to the Planned Giving team regarding correspondence, strategy and negotiation with estate representatives and their legal counsel
Additional Legal Responsibilities:
- Manages intellectual property portfolios such as trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary confidential information of the League
- Drafts, reviews, and manages routing and procedures for all League contracts and grants ensuring legal compliance and compliance with League policies and procedures
- Advises and responds to legal and procedural questions from staff
- Organizes and participates in staff working groups to address new developments, procedures, documentation, and to develop consistency in treatment of issues
- Manages and oversees outside counsel as assigned
- Manages and supervises League litigation and disputes
- Assists in the management of pro bono legal counsel as needed
- Conducts legal research
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school and member in good standing of the California Bar
- 2-5 years transactional legal experience in law firm, conservation, government or corporate environments
- Knowledge and experience with one or more of the following legal areas: trusts, estates, probate; intellectual property; construction, real property transactions
- Experience participating in legal, business and risk management aspects of projects and transactions
- Legal experience in negotiating and drafting contracts
- Knowledge of California state and federal statutes that affect the League and its work
- Able to assemble, assess, organize issues and to conduct analyses and make findings to create solutions-oriented recommendations on complex technical issues
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills and ability to be persuasive and to motivate others
- Proficiency with MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Highly organized, uses time efficiently and meets deadlines
- Impeccable and concise record keeper
- Adept at working in team environments
- Ability to work with others in a non-adversarial, professional and diplomatic manner
- Highest personal and professional integrity
- Passion for preserving and protecting the natural world with a belief in the mission, principles, and values of Save-the-Redwoods League’s approach to conservation
- Demonstrated cultural competency and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities; verbal and written fluency in a language in addition to English is desirable
- Occasionally travels to remote locations; walks on uneven ground while working off-site
- Some weekend, evening, and overnight stay responsibilities
- Able to lift, carry, move, and position objects weighing up to 30 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record required
To Be Considered:
Email your resume, a cover letter addressing why you are a great fit for this role, and your salary expectations to: Jobs@SaveTheRedwoods.org with the subject heading “Legal Counsel”.
NO CALLS PLEASE… we are busy protecting redwoods. THANK YOU!
Save the Redwoods League is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Fluent English speakers who are bi-or multi-lingual, including indigenous
language speakers, are encouraged to apply.